***Have an idea for the 5th H? Email me: ExpandYourHappy@gmail.com***
What does it take to be successful in a doctoral program?
• Intellectual discipline comes from nature and nurture
• Doesn’t mean PHDs are smarter – but they are more educated
• If you’ve come this far, you probably have the horsepower, but even the strongest horses need to be broken and trained.
• Doctoral study is humbling
• You may be used to academic success
• You may NOT be used to receiving lots of feedback or having to apply yourself at maximum (
• You’ve spent 20+ years in school learning shortcuts to success – now you have to relearn your learning process – that requires humility to accept what has worked for you in the past may not work now
• The sooner you humble yourself to the process and learn how to incorporate feedback, the quicker you will finish
• Hmmm… is intellectual curiosity
• Students often want to use a dissertation to prove their perspective is correct, or to show that their ideas are right; however, if we already know the answers, then there is no point in doing a research study
• Doctoral research is about discovery – about learning what is not known. Often the most interesting findings are the ones that are the opposite of what we thought they would be.
• We have to be open to new ideas and perspectives
• We have to be truly curious about what answers will emerge from our study
• We have to embrace that the more we learn, the less we know.
• There is a reason many say a dissertation is the hardest thing you will ever do
• 500-750 hour example – to finish in a year requires 10-15 hours a week (and that’s a real 10-15 hours researching, writing, and revising… not just time in front of a computer)
• Difficult transition – by the end of coursework you have taught yourself to be superefficient in getting papers done - that is not the same as the iterative process of dissertation writing
• You will have to be somewhat selfish and make short-term sacrifices
#9: The Dissertation Shift with Dr. Todd Fiore https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/7242724
#47: On Curiosity and Being Human with Dr. Peter Williams https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/9161038
This Podcast is brought to you by: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Get your Happy Doc Student Swag: https://www.bonfire.com/store/happy-doc-student-podcast-swag/
Support this free content and keep Heather going with a yummy green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Reserve your spot here: https://jillthiry.com/reserve-a-class/ola/services/set-your-intentions-class-summer-wednesday