At the time of this recording (Dec 2020) Paul Shaw was a second-year doctoral candidate at Union Institute and University with his is major area of concentration: Humanities and Culture. He was also pursuing a certification in Creative Writing and splits his time working on his musical career in performance and composition, conducting scholarly research, and teaching.
You don't have to be a born-academic to thrive in a doctoral program.
What's more important is to make sure you are in the program that is right for YOU!
BEFORE YOU APPLY:
1. Consider if this is the right time: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/8169838
2. Consider if what program would be value add: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/8609514
3. Do your research (including understanding if the program requires a dissertation or applied doctoral project and read the course descriptions).
4. Decide if a residency component is important to you and understand what the requirements are surrounding residencies.
5. Once in your program, find your tribe ASAP (having trouble? check out the group I host at https://www.expandyourhappy.com
6. Once you find your tribe, build those relationships (you will need their support and they will need yours!)
7. Find your happy space (a way to be grounded); breaks will keep you sane and thinking clearly - In fact, this is episode is one of my pillars: Unleash Your Genius - The Secret of Self-Care: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/6988105
8. Set your default to discovery mode!
Remember: Being an independent scholar does not mean going on this journey alone!
Learn more about Paul Shaw: http://paulshawmusic.com/about
Check out his musical creations: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1PGRqVgCmkro8xRFvwZJpo?si=1d7b48ae13f841c6
Other resources available at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Happy Doc Student Swag: https://www.bonfire.com/store/happy-doc-student-podcast-swag/
Support this free content by treating Heather to a yummy green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Order merchandise here:
Use code: HAPPYDOC15