Dr. Veronika Larova was a student turned colleague. In this episode, we discuss the emotional rollercoaster ride of the process, the post-dissertation slump, and lessons I learned as her Chair.
Her doctoral project was titled:
"The Evolution of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Treatment: Lessons Learned from MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy" Her project resulted in the development of the PACT Model and was recently published in the Journal of Humanistic Psychology: The PACT Model: Improving Outcomes in the Treatment of PTSD.
Link to article: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/00221678211009993
She is currently completing her Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Wright Institute in Los Angeles, where she provides individual therapy and facilitates women's groups.
Veronika presented as a “rockstar” student. She dedicated time to her studies and possessed the raw ability to make her a natural scholar-practitioner.
1. Don’t go this alone: Everyone needs support during the process.
2. Getting feedback can be tough, especially if you are not used to getting significant feedback on your scholarly work; listen to this podcast episode: How to Feel Good about Feedback: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/8063165
3. Trust the feedback will strengthen your project.
4. Build a community of support; this podcast will help: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/8234175
5. Seek support from your network – this includes peers, your Chair, and your family. While you can do this alone, the journey is more pleasant when you can count on the support of those who want you to succeed.
6. Take this one step at a time – you only need to know your very next step.
7. Trust the process
8. When you finish, just as you will be a different person, so might those who have had to take up new hobbies to fill time while you were working on your degree.
9. Acknowledge the post-dissertation slump and check out The Artist’s Way (journaling and the Artist’s date): https://amzn.to/3xowzvB
10. Be kind and gentle with yourself and those who support you
Resources available at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Happy Doc Student Swag: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Support this free content by treating Heather to a yummy green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Order merchandise here:
Use code: HAPPYDOC15