#114 with Lauren Saunders, PhD.
Lauren is the Vice President of Editing and Research for Dissertation Editor, where she previously served as an editor and managing editor.
· Publishing your dissertation as a book and/or article(s) is a worthwhile endeavor - get your work out there (don’t kid yourself that people, beyond grad students, are going to read your dissertation as is).
· The dissertation is a very specific genre – if you need help writing this way, get it!
· Check out Lauren and Allen Roda’s book: PhDone - A Professional Dissertation Editor's Guide to Writing Your Doctoral Thesis and Earning Your PhD : https://amzn.to/3Z72W0T
· Take a break (but not too long!) so you can get perspective before you reformat your dissertation as a publication.
· A book can reach a broad, general audience and is an opportunity to put in all the personal reasons you picked your topic and other things that “don’t fit” in a typical dissertation – take this as an opportunity to find your voice.
· Articles typically go to academic journals (for ideas on where to submit yours, check out your reference section).
· Working with your chair/advisor/other committee member as a second author can be a great way to be mentored on how to publish in scholarly journals.
· Talk to your network – get their advice and capitalize on their connections.
· Rejections give you important information! Don’t be disappointed, just like the revisions you made on your dissertation, they will make your published work better.
· Be aware of players out there not working in your best interest – make sure they are taking time to do a legitimate peer-review and be cautious of pay-to-publish situations (unless it is due to open access reasons).
· Last and not least, make sure you are living your life WHILE you are in graduate school.
Connect with Lauren
@drlaurensaunders (Instagram & TikTok)
Lauren Saunders (LinkedIn)
Get the book, PhDone: https://amzn.to/3Z72W0T
Learn more about Dissertation Editor: https://www.dissertation-editor.com/Support the show
Support this free content: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/supporters/new
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Treat me to a green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Want to make my day? Rate, review, subscribe & share with someone you love.