Daniel is the co-founder of Spacemakers®, a productivity consulting group for busy leaders.
Spacemaker: How to Unplug, Unwind and Think Clearly in the Digital Age: https://amzn.to/3iEzHkT
Raising Tech-Healthy Humans: How to reset your children's tech-habits and give them a great start to life: https://amzn.to/3FE85Fv
Free chapters + videos to plan a weekly day of rest: https://spacemakers.com.au/book/free-chapters/
1. We need space in the whirlwind of life to live our best life and to fully experience the world
2. Seasons (6 months to a year) of intentional imbalance are a part of life (note the word “intentional” and the concept of a “set period of time”; being stretched thin for more than a year will not serve you)
3. Remember: You are more than your work/doctoral program!
4. Learning how to rest is an investment, not just in terms of productivity and creativity but in terms of a meaningful human experience
5. Mind wandering is important (give those “ah-ha” moments a space to appear), and if being alone with your thoughts is difficult, explore unresolved trauma with a professional
6. Resting takes practice (be compassionate with yourself as you develop this skill)
7. Implementing a day of rest can be a game-changer (see free downloads above)
8. Know when technology is working for you…and when it is mastering you!
9. You do not need to be anti-tech to find value in unplugging from it
10. Don’t forget you are human and you don’t need to justify having meaningful human interaction, enjoying the sunshine, reading books, and feeding your mind with joyful things
Some questions to ask yourself:
· Have you taken time to develop a philosophy around technology?
· Are you OK with letting your mind just wander? (remember the averse shock study?)
· Are you ready to live life from the inside out (rather than the outside in?)
· What small thing can you do to start making space in your life?
Support the show
Sign up for the FREE 21-day, 60-second Happiness Challenge: https://www.expandyourhappy.com/60secOct23
Support this free content: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/supporters/new
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Treat me to a green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Want to make my day? Rate, review, subscribe & share with someone you love.