Dr. Abby Hamilton is a 2-time TEDx speaker, Filipino-American industrial/organizational psychologist, and author of Amazon Bestseller “Speak Up, Anak”. Dr. Abby helps people find their voice so they can be more and do more in life.
The bamboo ceiling, a glass ceiling for Asian Americans, served as an inspiration for Dr. Abby’s dissertation.
How can you be assertive without being ugly? When it is done right, it is beautiful!
1. Passive – You don’t voice your opinion and let others lead the way.
2. Aggressive – You dominate the conversation without acknowledging the feelings of others
3. Assertive – A way of being firm but respectful, calm, professional dignified, and noble.
Tips for being assertive in a beautiful way
1. Be aware of your lack of assertiveness
2. Look for moments where you can speak up for yourself
3. Use a technique – like the "Repeat Button". Come up with one sentence and just repeat it (in a calm and composed tone). It will be hard in the moment but makes your life easier in the long term (you won’t be carrying resentment, for example). STAY STRONG!
· You are the CEO of your doctoral education – it is smart to be assertive
· At some point you will be THE expert in your topic area. There will be a time when you OWN that. When you do, be assertive in your communication with your committee.
· “Jesus was just a carpenter in his hometown.”
· Your faculty are human too (don’t forget that!)
· Know your worth. Know your value. Trust your voice.
· Be a friend to your future self!
Dr. Abby's book: https://amzn.to/3NDVR26
Both TEDx Talks: http://drabbytedx.com
YouTube videos: https://drabbytv.comSupport the show
Support this free content: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/supporters/new
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Treat me to a green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Want to make my day? Rate, review, subscribe & share with someone you love.