Stress Less and Do More!
On this episode, Blaine Oelkers, America’s only Chief Results Officer, shares productivity hacks that deliver a 30 minute hour™ that any busy person, but especially Doc Students can use!
Start by asking: What would you do with two guilt-free hours? Because, once you learn how to compress time, it’s an opportunity to do more of these things
How to get an hour's worth of things done in 30 minutes:
1. Tap into the power of the day-before-vacation with PDF: Plan, Delegate, Focus
- Pre-plan your day (do it when it works best for you – habit linking is an idea),
- Consider getting up a bit early (maybe do this a few days a week)
- Be selective with what you are planning (remember the 80/20 rule – focus on the 20 and remove the 80 that don’t have as much value – like social media)
- Think “who before the do” (is there someone else who can do this?)
- Be OK with asking for help
- Think “Day Before Vacation Mode” and unleash your fierce focus (skip chit-chat, Netflix, etc.)
- Become Dr. “No” - “Know before you no!”
- Use timers and time block your day
5. Be a task master
- Destroy distraction for a single task (use airplane mode, close the door, etc.)
- Multi-task when it makes sense (take a friend on a walk, listen to a podcast while doing chores, etc.)
- Batch tasking – batch things that go together (errands, phone calls, interruptions - use office hours, etc.)
6. Release your inner perfectionist – Done is better than perfect!
7. Take control of your day or someone else might
8. You don’t need to go into “day before vacation mode” every day but consider being in that mode a few days a week or integrating some of these tips throughout your day (like delegation, using timers, etc.).
9. Keep your main goal front and center – consider changing the unlock screen on your phone
10. Be the pilot of your day – “The bad news is that time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot!”
- Reduce overwhelm with this technique and be a better parent, partner, family member, friend, team player – and student!
- You already know how to do this
Connect with Blaine
Be sure to check out his TEDx talk at: https:/www.BlaineTEDx.com
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources available at: http://Expandyourhappy.com