Learn tips, tricks, and techniques for transitioning from coursework to capstone project.
Dr. Michelle Whitman holds an Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership with an emphasis in Higher Education and her research interests include servant leadership and teacher efficacy.
Not sure of a topic area? Listen to https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/9065397
1. Read, read, read in your topic area because it takes time to become an expert (and you MUST be an expert at your oral defense) - the sooner the better!
2. Use every opportunity in every course to engage with your general area – you will prevent a commonly rocky shift from coursework to capstone research
3. Look for meta-analyses or systematic literature reviews in your area – these will give you amazing breadcrumb trails to follow
4. Know who the key leaders are in your field and follow them
5. Keep CURRENT in the research – most of your articles should be recent (find out what “recent” means to your chair/institution – 5-7 years is typical)
6. Adopt an organizational system now (so you can easily access an important article when you are writing your literature review) - this is a huge time saver!
7. Pay attention to (and take note of): Theories in your area AND suggestions for future research - this is a great way to find an idea for your capstone
8. Remember your dissertation/doctoral project needs to be feasible – take cues from your committee, who will help you narrow it down to something doable
9. Find a peer or recent graduate and make them a part of your tribe
10. Remember: You are NOT alone. You can do this! And if you still aren’t so sure about that, get The Happy Doc Student Handbook and work through the “I think I want to stop” exercise. Get the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Connect with Michelle:
Audible here: https://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B09ZD57BB6&source_code=ASSORAP0511160006&share_location=pdp
Watch the podcasts on YouTube here:
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Support this free content: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Want to make my day? Rate, review, subscribe & share with someone you love.