Want to THRIVE in uncomfortable situations?
The technique discussed in this episode is NOT recommended for pregnant women and people with cardiovascular issues. See your doctor before practicing cold water therapy.
On today’s show, I chat with Michael Roviello, cofounder of Optimyze – a human optimization center that combines ancient wisdom with cutting-edge wellness technology to bring you back to your roots.
Michael holds master’s degrees in both business administration and education.
Prior to his academic work, he had a career in the U.S Navy during which he was deployed around the globe as a helicopter rescue swimmer, combat search and rescue crewman, and anti-submarine warfare operator. Injuries sustained during this time led him on a journey to re-discover how we can take responsibility for our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing.
After declining a professional recommendation for a second cervical surgery, Michael explored alternative methods seeking solutions to his chronic pain, anxiety, depression, insomnia, and neurological issues. His journey led him to discover the Wim Hof Method, a method that has resulted in pain management, improved sleep, decreased inflammation, clarity, peace of mind, energy and resilience.
Cold Water Therapy is a tool that will train you to “embrace the suck” – something all doc students could use!
Benefits of cold water therapy
1. Powerful anti-inflammatory
2. Promotes circulation
3. Metabolic benefits
4. Better adaptation to stress
5. Enhances cognitive functioning
6. Improves resiliency
7. Facilitates positive emotions
8. Immediately brings you into the present
How to do practice cold water therapy
1. Turn water to cold at the end of your shower
2. Allow water to hit your back
3. Close your eyes
4. Focus on your breath and SLOW it down– breathe in through your nose and expand your exhale
5. LET GO – use a repetitive statement like a mantra (I am strong, I am powerful, I am confident, I am safe, I am smart, etc.) or prayer
6. Start small 10-30 second and work up to 2 minutes
My favorite way is an ice bath at OPTIMYZE: https://www.optimyze.me/
Wim Hof story: https://youtu.be/Ame5F9MaGJA
Connect with Michael:
Reserve your spot here: https://jillthiry.com/reserve-a-class/ola/services/set-your-intentions-class-summer-wednesday