In this episode, I chat with Scott Miller, the host of On Leadership with Scott Miller. He is a Thought Leadership Senior Advisor at Franklin Covey and authors a leadership column for Inc.com. He is also the bestselling author of the Mess to Success series and more recently, Master Mentor Volume one.
1. Efficiency and Effectiveness are not the same things – know when to be efficient and when to be effective (hint: you cannot be efficient with people!).
2. Know your peak, trough, and recovery times – and plan your tasks accordingly! (see interview link with Dan Pink below).
3. Focus is a leadership competency – to get clear on WHAT you should be focusing on, get clear on your VALUES (see podcast links below).
4. Resist wearing busyness as a badge (come on, you know this happens!) and plan downtime; you need time to recover.
5. Learn how to say “NO” (I know, I know…this comes up A LOT – how are you doing with this skill?).
6. Think of your life in “seasons” – you might have a semester of an unbalanced season in grad school, just make sure you counter that with a (more) balanced season (yes, you need to repair, relax, and rejuvenate to be your best self).
7. You can have it all – just not all at the same time!
8. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond.
9. Ask yourself: How do I want to show up right now?
10. Master Mentor volumes are great books that will enhance your personal productivity (see free offer below).
Get the Master Mentors book here: https://amzn.to/3TdKy2W
Podcast episodes referenced
On Leadership Podcast episode with Daniel Pink: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/franklincovey-on-leadership-with-scott-miller/id1391164389?i=1000416933360
Episodes that talk about the importance of knowing your core values
#31 Reality Check: Is a Doc Program for You? with Jamie Hillman
#80 The Road to Happiness with Zahra Karsanhttps://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/11032107
Connect with Scott
LinkedIn (for free offer below)
Get your free copy of Scott’s newest book card deck, Master Mentors. Reach out to him on LinkedIn with your name and mailing address (tell him you heard him on The Happy Doc Student with Dr. Heather Frederick)Support the show
Support this free content: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/supporters/new
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Treat me to a green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Want to make my day? Rate, review, subscribe & share with someone you love.