Dr. Jennifer Ducko has been sharing her passion for nursing for nearly 40 years. She is a graduate of the Florence Nightingale school of nursing in London, England, and received her Masters of Science in Nursing Administration from Walden University and her Doctor of Nursing Practice from Aspen University. In this episode, we discuss her journey and the transformational nature of the doctoral degree.
1. Even if you are great at what you do, formal education can significantly and positively impact you and your work.
2. Adopt an open mindset when considering a doctoral program – Is it possible that you just don’t know what you don’t know?
3. Do your research! Make sure your program fits your long-term goals.
4. If you let it, formal education can transform you on a personal level – why not get as much out of the experience as you can and use it as a mechanism to go from GOOD to GREAT!
6. Breaks can be a good thing – know yourself and do what you need to take care of YOU! (and listen to: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/6988105)
7. Communication is imperative – if something seems off or isn’t going as planned communicate this to your faculty.
8. You must be able to advocate for yourself – a doctoral program often presents with unique challenges, and you must be able to advocate for yourself, when needed.
9. Know your WHY and keep your eyes on the prize. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If your why changes and it’s in your best interest to stop your program, listen to this episode: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/8016142.
10. If you are thinking about going back to school, listen to: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/8609514.
Support this free content by treating Heather to a yummy green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Review the Happy Doc Student Handbook here: https://amzn.to/3LHqMda