In this episode, I chat with Dr. Alison Miller about the importance of boundaries, productivity, and working in a way that really works for you.
Alison received her PhD in clinical psychology from the University of Illinois Chicago. She is an entrepreneur who has built three successful businesses, including the Dissertation Coach in 2000. The Dissertation Coach has helped thousands of graduate students finish their doctoral dissertations and master's theses. The Academic Writers’ Space (TAWS) is an online community designed for academics to get real work done.
Highlights and Tips
1. You have only so many resources; get clear on what is essential and what is “extra.”
2. When presented with opportunities, evaluate them in terms of your long-term goals - get clear on what you want out of your doctoral program – know your priorities.
3. Having clear boundaries is an act of reverence; honor yourself: “Thank you….AND here is what I am committed to and one of the commitments I’ve made to myself is that I’m not taking on any new projects.”
4. When you try to do everything, you end up doing nothing really well.
5. We often don’t say “no” due to discomfort and/or the fear of missing out (FOMO)
6. Not having clear boundaries prevents you from being present with your graduate work – work that demands unified attention. Your dissertation/thesis must be at the center.
7. You can’t manage time, but you can be a better manager of your commitments by setting clear boundaries (listen to this podcast for more helpful tips:
8. Recovery and rejuvenation are essential during a doctoral program.
9. Having boundaries within a work session gives you unified attention:
10. The doctoral process is a transformative process – use it to expand and grow into a heart-centered person.
Connect with Alison:
The Dissertation Coach FB
Free week of membership at The Academic Writers' Space - http://www.theacademicwritersspace.com
Get Alison's book Finish Your Dissertation Once and For All: How to Overcome Psychological Barriers, Get Results, and Move On with Your Life: https://amzn.to/3umKP8b
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Support this free content: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Want to make my day? Rate, review, subscribe & share with someone you love.