On this episode, I welcome William Hall, a nursing educator and doctoral candidate pursuing a DNP at Aspen University.
A DNP is an applied terminal degree in nursing (versus a PhD in nursing).
“Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” John Maxwell
1. Decide what is important to you: Cost, accreditation, success rates, support.
2. Request information and confirm the program you are considering is a logical step on your career path.
3. This is a huge decision: Dive deep and speak to people in the programs you are considering (social media is great for this – especially LinkedIn).
4. Be prepared for the noticeable shift from course work to your doctoral capstone (dissertation or doctoral project). See episode #9 below .
5. Dissertations/Projects can be derailed by things outside your control– this is why a good relationship with your Chair is critical.
6. Resiliency is an important trait (and so is grit!).
7. Take a good look at your support system – it is so important.
8. Do your homework and make sure you are choosing the right program.
9. Use a calendar to keep feelings of overwhelm under control – block time for all the things that are important to you.
10. Embrace your growth – you will grow during a doctoral program!
Episode# 9 The Dissertation Shift with Dr. Todd Fiore:https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/7242724
Get The Happy Doc Student Handbook here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578333732
Other resources available at: http://Expandyourhappy.com
Support this free content by treating Heather to a yummy green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy