In this episode, I continue the conversation with Dr. Leonard Cassuto, professor of English at Fordham University.
Be sure to listen to episode #53: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1547113/9484429
1. Tenure-track jobs are diminishing, so if we teach doctoral students to want those jobs above all other jobs, we are teaching them to be unhappy.
2. As a doctoral student you MUST be the CEO of your education (and where it lands you).
3. Think about what REALLY interests you (ask: What sparks joy in me?) and then view your doctoral education as a mechanism for gaining skills that will allow you to explore many possibilities on the job market.
4. You are learning broad and transferable skills - you are becoming an information specialist, you are learning how to teach people things (orally, in the written word, formally, informally) etc.
5. Stop thinking too narrowly when you think about your doctorate (truly the sky is the limit!).
6. Career diversity is about taking the skills you have learned and combining them with a profession that gives you pleasure.
Check out Imagine PhD here: https:/https://www.imaginephd.com/
Listeners can receive a 30% discount on The New PhD with the code HTWN from the publisher’s site, press.jhu.edu
Support this free content by treating Heather to a yummy green tea: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/expandyourhappy
Reserve your spot here: https://jillthiry.com/reserve-a-class/ola/services/set-your-intentions-class-summer-wednesday